Cut-Scenes

Tuesday, August 03, 2004

007 101

I have another confession to make: I have an appetite for espionage. I love the James Bond films, and my favorite TV show is Alias. This explains why I'm currently reading a book entitled The International Spy Museum Handbook of Practical Spying. It is essentially what the title suggests -- an introduction to the undercover operative's clandestine craft. The book recounts several stories from espionage history, and contains step-by-step instructions on how you can put spy techniques into practice for your own benefit. Of course, there is the obligatory disclaimer in the front page that removes all liability from The International Spy Museum, should any party become injured as a result of you acting on the information in the book. Don't get your hopes up, though, you're not going to find blueprints for any of Q's gadgets in these pages. The chapters focus mostly on the psychology, not the technology of spying. I personally have a guilty conscience when it comes to manipulating people, so for me much of the content in this book is just informational and entertaining -- not stuff that I would actually do. But, there is practical advice on analyzing personalities, evaluating truthfulness, and being aware of your environment -- this is all very useful, especially in the post-9/11 world. This is definitely a fun read for anyone remotely interested in the subject. Also, if you're a spy junky and you live in the Washington DC area, I highly recommend visiting The International Spy Museum.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home